Do You Need To Apply For Asylum?

Many people have looked to the United States as a sanctuary from persecution. The process, like most immigration law processes is complex and must be done properly, or you could risk removal or deportation.

At The Law Office of Jorge Macias P.C., I can help ensure your application is done correctly and as your attorney, I will protect your rights and strive to obtain a successful outcome for your asylum application.

Eligibility For Asylum In The US

To be eligible for asylum in the United States, you must demonstrate that you need protection because you have suffered persecution or have a genuine fear that you will suffer persecution. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) details that asylum can be granted for the fear of persecution based on your:

  • Race
  • Religion
  • Nationality
  • Membership in a particular social group
  • Political opinion

The process of securing asylum in the U.S. can occur in one of the two methods:

  • Affirmative process
  • Defensive process

The affirmative process is used when you apply for asylum using file a Form I-589, Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal, within one year of your arrival to the United States. This is a complex, 12 page form, and I can help you fill this out properly. During this year you may be allowed to live in the U.S. and applicants are rarely detained, and if the application is not adjudicated within 180 days, most people are eligible for a work permit.

An Immigration Judge Decides Defensive Cases

With a defensive process, you are already in a removal process after your affirmative process application was denied or you were stopped by CBP for entering the U.S. without proper documentation.

An immigration judge will decide your eligibility to remain in the U.S. during this process, and as your attorney, I will create the strongest possible arguments to support your application for asylum.

You may include family on your application, such as your children (aged 21 or younger) and your spouse. They must be in the U.S. during this time.

Contact Me Today

Applying for asylum in the U.S. is a stressful process. You need an experienced immigration lawyer to work as your guide. I offer free initial consultations, so you have nothing to lose. I represent clients throughout Suffolk County, Long Island and New York City. Call my Hauppauge office at 631-892-4331 or use my online form.