U Visa Can Help Protect Crime Victims

If you have been the victim of a crime, but are not a permanent resident or citizen, you may be worried that coming forward to report a crime could lead to your own detention or deportation. The U Visa is designed to protect victims of crime by allowing them to remain in the U.S. when they otherwise lack legal immigration status.

At The Law Office of Jorge Macias P.C., I can help you with all immigration issues, including any U visa questions. As an experienced immigration attorney, I can explain how the U visa process works and if it is appropriate for you.

There are four U visa categories:

  • U-1 for victims of crime
  • U-2 for their spouse
  • U-3 for their children
  • U-4 for parents of the crime victims.

There is a list of 28 qualifying crimes, and I can help you determine if your situation fits into one of those listings or if the activity was substantially similar to one of the crimes listed.

Certification Of Helpfulness

In addition to having been victim of a crime, you must also provide a "certification of helpfulness." This is done on Form I-918, Supplement B, U Nonimmigrant Status Certification, which demonstrates that you have "been helpful, [are] being helpful, or [are] likely to be helpful" in the investigation or prosecution of the criminal activity.

This can be troubling for many individuals, as it must be obtained from a "certifying agency," which includes police and law enforcement agencies, judges, prosecutors and other agencies like child protective services in New York and federal entities, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and the Department of Labor. I understand the information that is needed for this part of the process, and I can help you work to obtain this type of certification.

Contact Me Today

I'm an experienced immigration lawyer and can help you with a U visa application. I offer free initial consultations, so you have nothing to lose. I represent clients throughout Suffolk County, Long Island and New York City. Call my Hauppauge office at 631-892-4331 or use my online form.